Hello good keen Cavalcaders,
A good meeting was held in Tapanui last weekend where the Trail Bosses met the host town and confirmed all is well under control for next year’s Goldfields Cavalcade.
The final day will be the 2nd March 2013, so if you’re on a 7 day riding trail you’ll be meeting up on the 23rd Feb. 5 Day riding trail will be meeting up on the 25th Feb. And the walking trails will be meeting up on the 26th Feb.
Registration forms will be available from the 1st November and as always those who are paid up members for the May 2012 – May 2013 will have priority over non members for their trail of choice. We are a couple of trails down on previous years so the nine going to West Otago may fill up!
The ‘Panning the Pomahaka’ West Otago committee are a great bunch of rural folk who have been beavering away for many months already to ensure another top notch host town celebration. They have more freedom (than Cromwell had) with their race track so the parade will be a lot closer to where the people are.
Introducing the Trail Bosses (and their potential trails) for 2013:
- Jane Whitmore, 5 days, catered, Riding Trail Judge Creek, Gem Lake, Kawera?
- Matthew Sole, 4 Days, catered, Walking Trail Lake Roxburgh Village via new Trail to Millers Flat, through the gorge to Beaumont, over the Blue Mountains to Black Gully.
- Bill Butler (Taking over from Alastair Gibson), 7 days, catered, Riding Trail Start near Oturehua via the Manorburn, Knobbies, Onslow, Beaumont, Blue Mountains
- Stu Moore, 7 days, catered, Riding Trail –Rocklands, Waipori, Beaumont, Clutha punt, Rankelburn, Blue Mountains,
- Chris Bayne, 7 days, catered, Tussock Creek Light Wagons - starting from Kaka Point.
- Sandra Cain, 4 days, catered, Walking Trail starting at Lawrence, walking the new trail up to Baumont, somehow onto and around the Blue mountains.
- Tony Roderique, 7 days, catered, Clover-leaf riding trail First camp likely to be in the vicinity of West Otago, second camp will be at Earnslaw 1(near Tapanui).
- Tony Cumberbeach, 7 days, self catering, Speight’s Heavy Wagons a gentle meander through West Otago…
- Steve Clark, 5 days, self catering walking trail Mt Hope (above Roxbourgh), McKay Creek, Harry Brensell’s Hut, Crown Rock Hut, Hukarere Station, Down Pomahaka to Switzers Rd.
More info will be added to the website as details get confirmed.
So tell all your mates to start planning for it – if they don’t have a horse the walking trails are a great option and there are always a few spare seats on a heavy wagon so get them to get in touch with me and I’ll sort them out!
Hope you’re all fit and well, I look forward to hearing from you throughout the year and seeing you in West Otago.