The Otago Goldfields Heritage Trust, has decided to cancel the 2022 Goldfields Cavalcade to Millers Flat after much consultation with the Host Town Committee and key Trail representatives.
It is clear that to proceed with the Cavalcade, even though it was theoretically possible, to do so within the new RED guidelines, would be irresponsible. This is due to the heightened risk covid and the omicron variant pose to our vulnerable participants, caterers, landowners and rural communities. This year is different from last year because there are no lock-downs, the potential for Covid to be brought to the Cavalcade is significant.
New measures announced to cope with the predicted omicron outbreak increased the severity of implications for participants travelling from around the country should they get infected or be a ‘close contact’.
We would like to assure everybody that this decision was not taken lightly. We understand how important the Cavalcade is for participants and all the not for profit organisations who support and benefit from the Cavalcade.
Your registration is secure for 2023. This means all of your funds will be applied to your 2023 Cavalcade. You will be invited to re register in October and you will be able to change your options and your trail. Due to probable inflation increases, there may be some changes to catering prices.
Alternatively you can apply for a cash refund of 80% of trail costs. Merchandise, ferry, and host town activities can be refunded at 100%. (100% refunds on trail fees are not available due to expenses already incurred.)
Why 80% refund? We are less than 1 month out from the event start date, that means there has been 17months of work put into this event already. (Planning and meetings with Host towns start an average of 18 months out from the event.)
All expenses that can be cancelled or recovered have been actioned.
Other costs that can be ‘held over’ until next year have been taken into account.
- Trail Blazing costs already incurred will not need to be redone next year.
- Badges and merchandise already printed will be able to be held over until next year
- Equipment bought (new tents, Inreach GPS communication devices…) will not need to be bought again next year.
- Some money spent on creating promotional material can be re-used next year.
However there are also unrecoverable expenses which include:
- Terry and Odette’s contract fees
- A portion of the office expenses (Power, phone, internet, stationary…)
- Travel and meetings with the (Host Town, Trail Bosses, government agencies…)
The Cavalcade is supposed to be a week of getting away from the normal hustle and bustle! An opportunity to see new country, catch up with old friends and meet new ones. An environment like ‘the good old days’ before we were all so tightly constrained by political correctness movement!
That being said – this is NOT an event for first timers in the outdoors. Before you come on the Cavalcade we expect you to be relatively experienced in the activity you are signing up for – Here’s some expectations. Click here for the Expectations of participating Cavalcaders.
Click here for the Host Town paddocking maps.
Click here for the Parade Route.
PRINT OUT THESE LISTS
Got your boots? Check. Got ya trail mix? Check. Here are a few handy lists.
Cavalcade health and safety plan – yes we have one! You are all probably used to these by now in your own places of work.
Want to know what we’re up to on a daily basis? Follow us on facebook.
Otago Goldfields Heritage Trust
General Code of Conduct
All participants involved with Otago Goldfields Heritage Trust (OGHT) activities, including the Goldfields Cavalcade, must meet the following requirements in regard to their conduct and behaviour:
- Respect the rights, dignity and worth of others.
- Be fair, considerate and honest in all dealings with others.
- Be reliable, respectful.
- Demonstrate a high degree of individual responsibility, especially when dealing with younger people, as your words and actions are an example.
- Refrain from any form of harassment of others.
- Refrain from any behaviour that may bring the OGHT or the Cavalcade into disrepute.
- Ensure a safe environment for the conduct of the activity.
- Show concern and caution towards others who may be sick or injured.
- Be a positive role model.
- Understand the repercussions if you breach, or are aware of any breaches of this Code of Conduct. (See health and safety documentation for the relevant Complaints Policy and Procedures.)
Goldfields Cavalcade Cancellation Policy:
Amended January 26th 2022 to take into account special circumstances around Covid 19.
If the Goldfields Cavalcade should be cancelled for any reason (for example extreme fire risk, terror attack, pandemic …) We will process refunds minus all reasonable expenses paid out by the OGHT and Host Town. (This is to ensure the Goldfields Cavalcade can pay their contractors and trail organising expenses for work already completed. Thus ensuring the Cavalcade can come back the following year.)
- If you have ordered merchandise but it has not been printed and delivered to the OGHT then you will get 100% of your merchandise fees returned.
- If you have ordered merchandise and it has been printed and delivered to the OGHT we will get it to you. Zero refund on merchandise in this instance.
- If the cancellation happens within days of the Cavalcade and Caterers have already purchased supplies, some or all of these food costs will need to be deducted from your refundable amount.
Covid Traffic Light System All Cavalcade participants and Volunteers must have a current Covid Pass. As per current Government guidelines there are no travel restrictions and groups of up to 100 can assemble. The Cavalcade trails can go ahead in Red but the Host Town Activities will have to be reduced. (Please note – these guidelines are subject to change by the Government at any time).
However – even in RED, if infection rates and hospitalisations reach a certain level we may have to cancel some or all of the trails. If the risk of spreading and then having to manage the isolation of individuals (and potentially whole trails) is just too high.
If the Goldfields Cavalcade is proceeding as planned but you need to withdraw your entry for any reason:
- You will be refunded your entry fees less $55 for withdrawals before 1st February 2021.
- Refunds after this date at the discretion of the Organisers. As the date of withdrawal gets closer to the event there will be less money able to be refunded as the majority of costs may have already been incurred.